Sunday, June 3, 2007

Day 4

So I didn't make it to the internet cafe yesterday, hence the missing post. I'll do my best to post daily, but don't know how feasible that is. Also, I was REALLY REALLY REALLY counting on being able to post pictures via Photobucket but the internet is so ridiculously slow that I have no idea whether or not that will happen. I keep forgetting to bring my USB cord, but I'm definitely going to try later tonite or tomorrow.

Yesterday was orientation. They basically told us about Mombasa and what we're going to do. Today they took us to our homestays and will later be driving us to our orphanages. We're not all at the same one. We have to take the Mutato back and forth. A mutato is a Volkswagon minibus that is driven by gypsies. They are what is considered public transportation here. THere is no way to describe the deathtrap on wheels that they are. People hang out of the buses with the door open while the bus is goign full speed. Ridiculous, but utterly thrilling.

BTW; anything that sounds like a complaint is not, it is an observation. It is really amazing here. The poverty is unlike anything I've seen and the experience is mind blowing...and it's only been two days!

It's like 75% humidity here and 1,000 degrees, so I've never been grosser in my life. It's like as filthy as a 300 person bukake party. Rotting garbage and sweaty people. The giant plus about the weather is the fruit. No, that's not a reference to me, but rather the actual fruit. The bananas (actual bananas) are amazing, the papayas and mangoes melt in your mouth, it's amazing. A fruit party in my mouth.

My accomodations are pretty nice relative to everyone else. Tom and I are in a room at this 3 bedroom apartment with a host family. I'll try to see wassup with the photo situation and show you. When I say nice, I mean horrible by even New York standards, but nice by Kenyan standards.

The people are all super fun and amazing. The Bible banger of the group is named Ali (pronounced Allie), but even she is great. She is the most 'true' Christian that I know in that all she does is preach and talk about love and acceptance and compassion and understanding and not judging. She's really has the greatest heart. At some points she's very "Gone With the Wind". Her accent and her demeanor and such, it's like she's from 1920 with a petticoat and parasol. Her accent is off the hook. But I think that's bitchy gay Nima talking and not really a true assesment. Nonetheless, I really like her. Anyway, she just asked me if I have a girlfriend and I didn't want to lie so I said, "No, I'm gay". And she said "Well, that would explain not having a girlfriend". She then told me she was pro-gay marriage. A girl who's wet for Jesus who is pro-gay marriage and is here to save babies, not convert them. I love it.

I think Tom overheard (we're in the internet cafe), so I'm curious as to whether I'm going to have to have "the talk" with him.

Off to the orphanage because I'm an amazing giver and you're a selfish American asshole eating Cheetos and reading my blog.

xoxo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cocktails, yes. Cheetos, no.

Anonymous said...

Coming out sure didn't take you long! Not that I thought it would... :-) -WHS

popgloss said...

I miiiiss yoooou! Love you. You kill me with hilariousness.

Please don't fall in love with Ali. Remember your wife.

Unknown said...

I MISS YOU! I LOVE YOU! NYC IS NOTHING WITHOUT YOU!