It's 9:00pm and I'm at the internet cafe while everyone else is at the bar having drinks. Why am I at the internet cafe while everyone else is having drinks? Because that is how committed I am to keeping you, gentle reader, informed on my shenanigans (or lack thereof because of my utter devotion to you).
I need more feedback/comments. They're there for a reason. Utilize.
Today was the last day of my first week. It was really good. I cleaned in the morning and then we took the toddlers and primary kids to a nearby restaurant to get sodas. It was really fun and also really tragic. That was like the fun event of the month. Going to a nearby restaurant to have a bottle of Fanta or a bottle of Coke. We take so much for granted and these kids are ecstatic over a soda. The utter joy that a simple carbonated beverage can bring was really sobering.
Today I saw V (personal info is supposed to be confidential) smile for the first time. He's around 10 and was a street kid, meaning he's an orphan but was either abandoned by his parents or they died and no one knew. He was living on the streets when they picked him up so he's really tough and silent and just has this incredible air of knowledge and experience and most of all pain. The kids all have files, but I'm not going to read them until the beginning of my 3rd week or so. I really want to know the kids and have a feel for who they are before I start reading. Anyway, V smiled while we were taking a break from our division lesson. Drawing up lesson plans is hard!
Idiot was off the chain today. I was kinda day dreaming on the mutato, which granted is my own fault and just asking for trouble, when all of a sudden Idiot said this is our stop. I got off and was like, oh fuck, I didn't even check to see if she was right. I'll give you one guess as to whether she was right or not.
So we ended up walking about a mile. Did I get an apology? Nope. All I got was some line about her being a small town girl. I really wanted to say, "Well then, why don't you stop opening your small town mouth when you don't know your head from your fat, hairy vagina?"...but I didn't. Instead I just walked a mile in silence, which with the right swishy walk and aggressive eye rolling can be even more vicious than a barb about hairy vaginas.
The volunteers and I are going on a safari tomorrow morning. $150 for two days, one night, hotel, all our meals, park entry fees, travel to and from the park, and a guided tour on both days. If I can EVER get a connection that is decent I'll post pics.
Anthony has been popping into my head these past two days. I'm curious, are you reading my blog? You just got a shout-out so you better let me know. I doubt it though.
Last night some guy tried to pick me up. I was looking kind of faggoty I guess in a tanktop and shorts which are really not the norm here, every guy wears a button down tshirt and slacks. Anyway, this guy is like "Hey, como estas?" and not thinking I said "Muy bien, gracias". He said "Remember me, from the club?" and he had THAT LOOK in his eyes. So I said "No...". And he said "Remember?" His eyes were getting so big I thought they were gonna pop out of his head. I said "No, I haven't been to any clubs" then he said "Aren't you Spanish?" and I said "No, Iranian" and he got that scared look in his eyes and was like "Oh, sorry, sorry" and slinked away. So at least I know there's a gay-ish club here. Still, I think I'd sooner wear sign that says "Come rape me by using sand instead of lube" than check out a gay bar in Mombasa.
On my way to the internet cafe some skanky and creepy woman rubbed my head and said "Hey baby". I'm assuming she was a hooker and I likely now have crabs on my head. Hopefully I'll get one of the chimps from tomorrow's safari to pick them all out.
Clap.
13 years ago
4 comments:
Nima- Thanks for the updates, sounds like you've accomplished alot in short time. Oh and thanks for keeping us up to speed on your bowel and sperm movement! Have fun on the safari, I hope you are able to take pictures I would love to see them. I like your idea of getting to know the kids 1st before reading their files. It is amazing how much you can pick up about their lives w/ no words. Just by their demeanor, voice, eyes. etc. I was really sad to hear that for these kids a trip to the restaurant for one soda is the highlight of their week..wow it really puts things in perspective.
Keep up the updates coming, I am so proud of you!
Love, N
Nima-Great job with updates from the ass backwards country. I give you a ton of credit and a LOT of BALLS for going over there and helping. You are doing your fellow man a great service. I like your sense of humor in the blogs. Don't ever let anything get you down. The soda story was both sad and happy at the same time..love you man..John
hey nima! i know, lesson plans are hard! try doing 180 of them a year... Anyways here's the basic principle of how to teach, and just remember this: I DO, WE DO, YOU DO. The teacher starts and shows the students what to do (the I DO), then you have a group activity where the students help each other or come up to the board (if there is one--this is the WE DO), then you let the students do it on their own (YOU DO).
Nima- I am catching up on me reading. Your trip is quite the experience. You make me want to go out there and take a few home! We do take things for granted here and we need to appreciate things more!
Rana
Post a Comment