I'm shitting myself. Or at least I would be if I weren't so damn constipated. They warn you about getting diahrrea while you're in Kenya, but I totally WISH that were the case. Evidently it's not just me, but rather a few people on the trip are also in my boat. My overly full and bloated boat. Enough about my bowel movements and on to why I'm shitting myself.
I have wireless at my host family's apartment. It's not theirs and it's slower than the internet cafe, but it exists!! I can do things from home and loaf around in my bed while doing them...like writing this entry. I had to do it immediately in case it goes out or gets password protected or something, but I really can't believe it. It's mindblowing. I know you're thinking either a) who cares, it's just wireless, or b) obviously it's not that poverty riddled/out in the middle of nowhere if they have wireless. To the first group I say: it is a big deal you dumbass, it's wireless in a third world country and to the latter group I say: the vast majority have nothing (many don't have running water) so shut up, it is a big deal because this place is a shitbox. Dumbass.
Today was my first day at the orphanage. There are 28 kids, not 26. They sleep 6-7 to a room. Our lunch consisted of beans. Garbanzo and kidney with bits of onion. They are the happiest, friendliest children I have ever met. We got there around 11:00 (normally we report at 8:00am, but today we were taken to our host family homes and introduced to our orphanages and such, so it was a late start). Anyway, the kids in Grade 1, 2, and 3 go to school from 9:00-12:00 and then come home. The kids in Grade 4-8 go from 9:00-12:00 then come home for lunch then go back at 2:00. So when we got Dickson (the name of the orphanage) the only kids there were about 5 years old or younger. As soon as we walked in they started jumping on me and hanging off of me for piggyback rides and such. They then asked me to flex for them which of course I LOOOOOVED! Even in the 3rd world I get props for my smokin bod. Anyway, we were playing until the older kids came home then we had a little meeting with the people who run the orphanage and then we played spelling and math games until 4:00 at which point we left to come home. It's about 50 minutes each way. I got home, ate with the host family and my roomie who I'm growing quite fond of and am now in bed.
My day will be as follows:
8:00-10:00- clean orphanage and prep lunch
10:00-12:00- play with toddlers (under 5)
12:00-2:00- lunch and play/interact with everyone aged 1-17
2:00-4:00- teach the primary kids (Grade 1, 2, and 3)
I got a sim card for my phone. My number is 0729-502-477. PLEASE be extremely aware of the hours here as I'm sharing my room with someone and living in tiny quarters with a family that has a 2 year old daughter.
NY People: You can call/text between 2:00am - 2:00pm
MN People: You can call/text between 1:00am-1:00pm
CA People: You can call/text between 11:00am-11:00pm
I know you're all self-centered divas (birds of a feather...) and since you're such hot shit and can't be bothered with details like hours you can/can't call, someone will invariably call in the middle of the night. I'm warning you now, for each of you that does so, I'm selling one of the orphans to the diamond mines; so it's on your head if you can't follow a simple rule.
Ok, I have to go so Tom can use the internet. Normally I wouldn't give a flying fuck about a lad from across the pond, but I'm fond of the bloke and thus must say ta.
Clap.
13 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment