Saturday, June 2, 2007

Day 2

So, I'm in Mombasa. Safe and sound.

It's definitely a shocking experience coming here. Several things of note.

1) Everyone is black.
2) It's hot.
3) It's poor.

Bet you didn't see those coming, huh? I mean, who knew? At any rate, the people are very nice and helpful. EVERYONE speaks English and all the signage is in English, so it's relatively easy to naviage/get help. The beggers are PUSHY and all sorts of people want to carry your bags or show you around or help you out...for a fee. Some asshole grabbed my suitcase in Nairobi, wheeled it to the next terminal (while I was protesting the whole way) and then wanted money. I felt bad, so I gave him a dollar and then he asked for $10. I looked at him with my gayest "Are you insane?" look and carried on.

There are a bunch of people here with the program. We're in a hotel until Monday. Tomorrow (sunday) is orientation and then Monday we're moved to the homestay. The guy I'm rooming with, Tom, is from 1.5 hours outside London and he's actually my roommate in the homestay too. Nice guy, but I can barely understand him. He claims to be speaking English, but with that crazy English accent (and not a London accent, but a rural accent) I can barely make out two words. He seemed kinda pissed when I finally confessed that I don't really understand him.

George is the group hottie (after moi of course). I do use the term hottie loosely, but nonetheless I'd do him in a minute, which yes, I know, isn't sying much, but at least there is someone here who is fuckable. I'll post pics as soon as possible, but given that the connection here is slower than dial up, it may not happen.

Ali (pronounced Allie, like Kate and Allie)is the farm girl. She's from a village in Texas and goes to University of Oaklahoma. Very nice, sweet girl. Surprisingly liberal and open-minded. She threw up from the heat while we were in the bank. That's how ridiculously hot it is.

A few other people in the group, breakdowns shall follow. Havnen't told anyone I'm gay, but I'm sure it's pretty obvious. We'll see how that goes over.

Ok, I'm off to see more of the city. Much love.

No comments: