Thursday, June 7, 2007

Day 6 and 7

Sorry, but the internet company has been down and none of the internet cafes nor my 'wireless' have been working. So here's the story...of a lovely lady.

Day 6-
I gave birth. After 6 days of Africa and 2 days of travel, I finally went poo and was afraid I was going to jam up the toilet, which would be a nice "Hi, thanks for having me in your home" for my host family. Luckily, that didn't happen. Also on Day 6, I came. This place is so disgusting. All you are is a sweaty, dirty mess so it's not like you're ever feeling horny or sexy. How the HIV rate is so high here is beyond me, because how could you EVER be in the mood for sex? At any rate, I got worried after not coming for 8 days, so I forced myself to do so in the shower. And it was damn near impossible. Kenya is just NOT a sexy nor sexual place. I used every fantasy in my Rolodex and believe me I haven't pushed my brain that hard since 1st semester law school finals. But I did finally get there and interestingly enough, it wasn't that good. It's funny how much of a head game the horizontal tango really is.

Ok, enough about body fluids/boulders and on to the project.

The first full day was a shock to the system. I mopped the orphanage. I handwashed 28 shirts and pants and pairs of underwear. I came up with a lesson plan involving multiplication tables (the kids I teach are in Grade 3). Also, working with Idiot is really taxing. She's just fuckin clueless and you all know me, I am sort of a den mother and feel like this poor Idiot is going to get either lost or run over by a car if I don't take care of her, so I'm stuck with her.

I went home EXHAUSTED but we had a group meeting at the Castle Hotel. Went there, it was fun, just getting everyone together and having a beer.

Day 7-
I have a permanent sinus infection here. I inhale dust and dirt like it's 100% Colombian cocaine. There is little to no pavement and no A/C so windows are always open and dust is always flying.

Work was good. The morning was tough because Mwongi, a 2 year old, was on a hitting spree and just whacking every other little kids. Mosu, a very zen two year old who entertains himself for hours with like a piece of paper, was the victim of several brutal Mwongi attacks. Mwongi is by far the cutest, but a total shit. Manu pissed himself twice, once while I was holding him so my shirt had a lovely urine splotch on it and Emmanuelle John is a snot machine and just has shit coming out of his nose all day long. It was a trying morning, but then my afternoon with the older kids was great. I taught them division and they got it. It was amazingly satisfying to teach something and have the kids understand.

I'm trying to figure out how I can smuggle a few of them back home with me. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny! Ha!

Well, I'm glad every thing CAME OUT ok... ha ha... ;)

poo... we all do it...

eventually

Unknown said...

you are hysterical. not just today. always.

Unknown said...

Nima, I just read your whole blog. Ok you got me sucked in with your hilarious writing...too funny. Now I am a subscriber. Hope all is going well, luv ya, and take care of yourself there. Your newly devoted reader:)