How to call me from America: 011 254 729502477
Sorry for the delay. I spent the weekend at Diani Beach and there was no internet access. Here goes:
Friday we took the older kids to the restaurant for soda, like we did with the younger ones. It was the same thing in that it was really the most fun they've had in a while. Having soda. Ridiculous. Anyway, we had a good time and then I stayed late and watched Spiderman 3 with them. Every Friday I buy them bootleg DVDs. I don't support pirated DVDs normally, but DVDs of any kind are scarce and I justify buying them by saying they're bootleg DVDs for charity. It's like stealing a loaf of bread to feed your starving family, except instead of starved for food they're starved for fun and instead of bread they are fed with quality entertainment. =)
So last week I gave them a pirated DVD of Pirates of the Carribean 1, 2, and 3. They don't fuck around here, you get a SHITLOAD of movies on one DVD. The one I gave them this Friday (three days ago) was the Marvel collection. It had Spiderman 1, 2, and 3, X-Men 1, 2, and 3, Ghost Rider, and Fantastic Four. ALL ON ONE DVD!!! Isn't that nuts? Anyway, I stayed and watched Spiderman 3 with them. Afterwards when I was getting ready to leave they started begging me to sleep over. It's SO IMPOSSIBLY hard to tell a dozen kids who are begging you to sleep over that you can't, but I really couldn't. All the other volunteers were counting on me, the beach huts were on my credit card, etc. So I promised them I would soon.
Saturday we went to Diani beach. It's about an hour away and a really nice white sand beach. After dividing up the cost of the cottage (which was ON the beach) the grand total was...$7 per person. Ridiculous. So we had a fabulous day on the beach. Before I get to the weekend though, I have to comment on the journey there.
Now, there's something mind bogglingly surreal about driving down a Kenyan backroad at 100mph listening to reggae in a mutato with 17.5 people in it (there was a pregnant woman)when the capacity is 14 people. I literally thinking "where the fuck am i, what the fuck am i doing". Reggae? Kenyan backroads? OVER maximum capacity? It was at once the most bizarre and terrifying moment of my life. Also, when we first got on the two Kenyans next to me started FREAKING out about putting on their seat belts. This was especially terrifying because no one has even once put on a seatbelt and here two Kenyans were freaking out over needing seatbelts. So I go to get mine...there isn't one there. The ride wasn't super horrible so I don't know what the freak out session was about, but at the time I really thought it was all over for this little queerling.
So over Saturday and Sunday we laid out, played in the water, ate, just had a really relaxing time, which I think everyone needed. It was really nice to decompress and let off some steam. For dinner on Saturday night we went to the 2nd nicest restaurant in Kenya (it was by our hotel, so we thought why not) and it was probably the only meal I've had here that would be considered acceptable in America. It was good, but it wouldn't last a day in New York. Nonetheless, I was very happy and able to eat AND ENJOY all my food. Then we went to the nightclub next door. We gave the DJ a playlist and ended up dancing to Bon Jovi, Maroon 5, Scissor Sisters, and...MADONNA!!!! all night long. It was so fun. I was craving some dancing and we got to. It was really awesome. We then went back to our cottage and drank and played cards until 5am. I went to bed at 4:30, the rest claim 5:00. Sidenote: Roomie fucked Clueless in the bathroom. Scandalous because I live with Roomie and work with Clueless.
This brings me to a point I've been wanting to make. It's getting exceedingly more difficult to keep this blog a secret. These nosy assholes keep wondering what I'm typing and why I'm always rushing to the internet cafe. Any tips how to keep my random gossip under wraps? And don't say shutting my mouth because we all know that's impossible.
On a very sad note, there was some tragedy this weekend. I lost my Dolce and Gabanna sunglasses in the ocean. I went wading around in the water with my glasses on and then decided to body surf, and off they went. I came here expecting to lose or destroy them, but not while at the beach. I blame the Xanax I took with lunch (stop juding me, I was on vacation).
Ok, almost time to go to Swahili lesson so I gotta start short handing it.
Shout-out: Darren S, he called me!! I love him; although knowing that diva she probably called me so that she'd get a shout-out.
Bitched out the driver on the ride home from Diani beach. I'm so tired of getting screwed because to them I'm a "mezunga" (white person).
No water at Dickson since yesterday.
Was locked out of the apartment for 2 hours yesterday.
HAVE TO GO!! LOVE YOU!!
Clap.
13 years ago
1 comment:
Nima! I'm forever calling you "my little queerling". Love it!
Sorry about your glasses. They are probably riding on the back of a seahorse with my Versace glases (sigh. All Sean's fault).
Post a Comment