Worst. Day. Ever.
Before I get into today, I gotta tell a story about last night. After we left the internet cafe, Prince William, Roomie, and myself stopped at one of the hotels for a couple of beers. Tusker Beer, look into it, it's quite tasty. We ended up staying for a while and on the way home were followed by 3 street kids, roughly ages 6, 9, and 14. They start begging, we say no and keep walking. They follow for blocks. The 6 year old then grabs my hand and links his fingers into mine and keeps asking for money. It was really getting to me, but you have to be firm with them otherwise all the street kids will hit you up. Furthermore, as he was asking his 8 year old buddy was HUFFING GLUE RIGHT IN FRONT OF US. He was walking and holding the jar up to his mouth and taking deep breaths. I was honestly about to just bust out crying. I had like a massive panic attack in the car. Under 10 year old homeless drug addicted kids. It'll break even the stoniest of hearts. They then climbed onto the "taxi" we were taking home until we finally made the driver pull over and shoo them off the roof and sidedoors of the "car". I use quotes because the taxis here are like motorized pedicabs. I'll post pics by the end of the week. Anyway, he finally got rid of them but it was about a 20 minute ordeal from beginning to end. Watching an 8 year old huff glue mixed with diesel fuel is probably the most gruesome thing I've ever seen.
Adding that incident to my day was really awful. The situation here is quite honestly hopeless. There are so many things wrong here it's overwhelming. We can't mail things to Kenya upon returning to the states because the mail system here is corrupt. They will open packages from the US, look for anything good, take it and then charge the Kenyan receiver an 'import tax' of whatever amount they choose. The mail is corrupt, the police are corrupt, the orphanages are corrupt, the hospitals are corrupt, the government is corrupt. Every day is getting worse and worse. I know this is a huge shift from yesterday's amazing post of beauty, but between that post and right now, it's just been bad.
The kids were punching, biting, and kicking each other ALL DAY LONG. I think there were more children crying today at Dickson than there were children crying ALL last week. I found out the 12 year old bed wetter was not just abused but rather tortured by his father with the preferred method being red hot pokers against the boy's skin. The bratty girl in my afternoon class had such a hissy fit about having to clean the room today (everyone takes turns) that she stormed out 30 minutes early and was not reprimanded. My lunch was pinto and kidney beans and had a dead fly in it and my sinus infection is taking on epic proportions.
Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer but it's been a rough day.
Now, I know that my 3 fans don't check my blog daily to get a dose of an utterly bleak situation, so I'm going to shift gears.
I didn't wear any sunblock this weekend. I normally wear 45 on my face and 50 on my body. As a result, I have a gorgeous golden glow to my already stunning body. We're going to the beach this weekend. Mombasa is an island, so there are many to choose from. We're going to Diani and are going to stay overnight. It's going to cost about $7-$10 per person. RIDICULOUS!!
I'm taking Swahili lessons 2x a week and there's this stud volunteer who has been here for a while who's also going. He's from Cali and has like a football player build but in the good way, not in the fat way. He's a total surfer dude and super sweet and cute. Nothing to share than 1) he's hot, and 2) I'm getting insanely horny. Not even to like hook up, but just to do some male-on-male-brush-up-against-him-on-your-way-from-the-dancefloor-to-the-bar action. It's funny how important physical contact is. I'm always hugging and kissing the kids, but it's like me comforting them as opposed to like a genuine display of reciprocal affection. Until it stops, you don't realize how much you crave like a hug from you friend or a slap on the back or a kiss on the cheek hello or a blowjob in the bathroom. I mean, they make life worth living.
By the way, I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to my mother and father for my completely uninhibited posts. I'm sorry. Sadly for you, you two are not my target audience and are just going to have to avert your eyes from time to time. However, I'm certain that you're used to doing that after having raised me.
I love you mom. I love you dad. You two are the best parents in the world. If anyone disagrees, I'm going to bring him back a malaria riddled souvenir encased in yellow fever with a typhoid filling.
Clap.
13 years ago
3 comments:
from one debbie downer to another ... what you are doing is wonderful. you're wonderful. they are lucky to have you!
You don’t know me and other then this blog I don’t know you. A friend forward the link telling me what a great writer you are, hope you don’t mind if I tag along on your adventure and live vicariously through you. I am a twenty something working stiff in MN. I studied abroad and lived in Nicaragua when I was in college and the one thing I learned is that although it appears hopeless at times, it is not. There are truly desolate cases everywhere in the world but there are always good things everywhere. Just because we think it is bad, does not mean they do. If you had never experience chocolate you would never miss it right? Just a thought, while depressing I hope keeps you going and writing! I hope you are thinking about putting all this into a book one day!
Also I would love to tell others about this blog if you are not offended, I really enjoy your writing style and I am jealous as well. You will change in more ways you can imagine and when you come back to the states you will never be the same. It is both the hardest and best thing you can do for yourself!
Kelly MN
your "debbie down-ess" was so down, I couldn't enjoy "like a prayer" while reading. But you know you are doing your best for them and for yourself. Keep truckin'.
Post a Comment