I'm exhausted from the day and all those posts, so I'm gonna stream line.
Muslims still assholes. Last night they even woke the Kiambis up. The guy was being a fucking dick and elongating letters so it was like he was saying COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEE PPPPPPRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY because I've gotten familiar with what they say and he was yelling (or turned up the volume) and was stretching all the sounds out. At 5:11am. Dick.
Bandanas cure everything. Always carry them. From stopping blood to cleaning to blowing your nose to impromptu cum rags; they rule.
I gave a street kids my 2nd to last Cliff bar, so I'm pretty fucked in a few days. I tried to only eat them when absolutely necessary, like I was gonna pass out from hunger, but now I only have one left. Gulp. I also just gave a kid who was an alleged orphan soliciting money for school uniforms Sh500 because I didn't have anything smaller. I feel it was kind of legit because he had a form and a clipboard, which may not sound like much but is leaps and bounds beyond anything I've seen here, so if nothing else, he got money for creativity and ambition. Still, I should have made change. He literally came into the internet cafe to solicit people and no one stopped him. Kinda weird.
I'm of the school of thought that sex is psychological and not physiological so I'm always curious as to what my fantasies are saying. I definitely go through periods where I like raw, dirty, rough sex and then sweet lesbian-like love making and everything in between. I think I must be manifesting the psychological beat down I'm getting here Kenya because last night I fantasized about getting the shit pounded out of me. Slapped around, made to beg, and then rammed til I couldn't walk. I would imagine it's an extension of how I feel everyday here.
We finally got water this morning and I went into the children's bathroom and saw no one took care of the toilet, so I started baling water into the toilet. Before I did that, I took a picture so you all can see the rancid, insane things I'm subjected to here (I did the same last year when I had to break a giant turd with a stick see Day 26) and last year Ruth saw me taking a picture of poop and looked at me like I was totally insane. I learned my lesson this year and closed the door. Later, Beatrice borrowed my camera to take a picture and scrolled through my pics and of course found the picture and gave me my camera laughing and saying calling me strange. Now I'll be known as the volunteer who photographs shit.
I've definitely lost it a little because I actually spoke out loud to myself today. I was sitting on the steps and pretty tired and I said "Maybe it's the Clairitin that's making me tired. No, Clairitin doesn't make you tired." Ya. I'm not a psychologist, but I don't think that's normal. No one was around and even if they were they'd have no idea what I was talking about. So...
Milka was sitting on my lap and sneezed a wet spot, an amalgam of spit and snot, into my tshirt that was so massive I felt the wetness on my chest.
The kids are more controllable hungry. After being fed they go nuts. I think it's the high carb diet, but maybe we should starve them a little more.
Today they had ugali and those minnow fish. Vincent begged me to just try one. The smell made me want to throw up and I kept saying no, no and he kept saying, please, just try it. I'm very adventurous with food. I'll try almost anything, but I know I don't like seafood or pork. I've had multiple times and just don't like it. Smelly minnow are definitely at the bottom of the list. I don't even like Blue Water Grill or Blue Fin fish, how could I stomach Kenyan bait fish? Still, I couldn't say no to Vincent when he was so intently asking. I put one in my mouth and started chewing and almost threw up. I couldn't even swallow it. I ran to the garbage can and spit it out and chugged water and ate a candy to get the taste of decaying fish out of my mouth. Then when they kept coming by me and talking to me or touching me or playing "Guess who" and covering my eyes, their hands STANK of the fish and kept making me dry heave. Kenyans eat with their hands, not utensils, so the stank of the fish lingered all day.
I collect the kids garbage all the time and pick up their garbage from all over and put it in the waste bin. However, it's pretty moot since the garbage dump is taking the garbage to a nearby cliff and throwing it off or burning a pile of it. It was against every fiber of my being, but I threw a box of garbage over a cliff. I don't know if I can bring myself to burn a pile though.
Unless it's at Dormans (which I found out serves breakfast all day! The French toast is great!), I can't eat meat anymore. I ate meat last time and have been eating it this time, but I read in the paper today that bird flu, ebola, Rift valley fever, and monkey pox are on the rise here due to the rising cost of meat and that 12 of the 15 most contagious diseases are in Africa. So, looks like I'm going veg for a few weeks. Which sucks because I hate vegetarians. Damn hippies.
Please text me AS SOON AS you know who Obama's running mate is.
I feel like I'm getting old because famous people I know of keep dying. Bernie Mac, age 50, RIP.
The newspaper had a guy write in to the advice column. His girlfriend of a few years and he stopped having protected sex a few months ago and then he found out she's HIV positive. His questions were: Why didn't she say anything? Should I stay with her? Should I get tested? Or should I kill myself and take her with me? No joke. This, shockingly, is not uncommon of the type of things Kenyans say (or at least print). Scary.
Getting around town and to and from Dickson is getting a little annoying because I get stopped every 5 seconds because I'm one of 6 mzungus and I speak Swahili so they keep asking me shit and making me a little dancer monkey for their friends. I hate being rude, but it's taking forever to get anything done. I'm thinking of wearing headphone more but am afraid it will make me look like I carry expensive electronics with me and given the regularity of my schedule, I don't want to make myself susceptible to any unwanted attention.
Took the kids to the restaurant for sodas. It was great, they were so happy and laughing. I filmed a lot of it and took many pictures, but as I said, posting them is this process, so I'll put them up in about 2 weeks.
Got a mango on the street and ate the whole thing. I now have two options. I can either move here or I can eat them until I get sick so I no longer like them. I'm guessing I'll do the second one.
Clap.
13 years ago
3 comments:
mwangi could not possibly be any cuter.
although, manu is a pretty close second.
it kinda looks like the potatoes are matzah balls. there must be tons of jews in mombassa.
are those the express jeans? they're falling off you! skinny bitch.
you look fabulous - as always!
thank you for the pictures. we're ready for round #2. would love to see your digs.
omg... two weeks! You're gonna make us wait two weeks for more pics? I'm with Courtney... would love to see some of the places you talk about (home, Dickson, internet cafe, Chinese Galaxy). Be safe & take it all in... time is flying. Love you, boo.
Post a Comment