Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 1: 3 Times a Lady

Is it Tuesday? Wednesday? Thursday?

All I know is that I've been popping Ambien like they're Xanax. 11 hours is not the nicest leg to start your two day journey on. Oh, and a middle seat between one normal guy and another Herculean guy. He wasn't obese, but a giant football player type. Sexy in that I'm-a-freakish-monster kind of way, but I'm a happily married woman so I ignored him, popped my pills, slung on my pretty blue sleep mask, popped my pills, had a sip of water, and popped my pills. Between the length of time and the sweaty, sleeping giant, needless to say it took a lot of sedation.

I have to say though, Europe really has its act together. www.yotel.com is AMAZING! It's located in Schipol airport (and Heathrow and Gatwick and soon others). Anyway, Yotel is a tiny cabin-sized room, smaller than a room on a cruise line, but it has a comfy clean bed, a shower, and wifi...all for 39 euros! Well, 39 the first 4 hours and 9 euros each additional hour, but considering internet is 16 euros and a shower is 15 euros, an extra 8 euros got me a bed, a room, and glorious, glorious privacy- something I will be lacking for the next few days. If I weren't so zonked I would have made use of the privacy. I still have 45 minutes so maybe if I can wrap up this posting quickly I'll see what Google provides when one searches "Hot Jocks".

Some sad news. Of all the things this moron could forget, what did I forget? My camera. Blurg! If I were any less sentimental I would have said "Oh well" and moved on leaving you all to think that I really took your money to Monaco, but I ended up buying a duty-free camera so I can photo-chronicle for you non-readers. Digital cameras are such a scam. I got the cheapest one, but of course had to get a memory card, and of course had to get adapters (I have a US to Kenya one, but not an EU to Kenya one or an EU to US which I need lest the camera become useless upon return to the US), anyway the camera was 111 euros but put all the extras on and it came out to 136 euros ($200).

By the way, I know that "officially" euro is the plural of euro, but in English one is supposed to pluralize euro to euros, so all you jet setters that were snickering over my grammar throughout the past few paragraphs can stop. What you can snicker about is that I'm about to Google "Hot Jocks".

Off to Nairobi shortly and from there to Mombasa. I'll be going straight to Dickson so the next post won't be for something like 26 hours. Wish me luck, lots of love, and it's never too late to donate. Thank you SO, SO, SO much to those of you that have and thank you in advance to those of you that will.

Britney Level Donors ($1-$50)
Greg Antollino
Brenda Bank
Topher Brattain
Patricio Castillo www.patriciocastillo.com
Nick Cowan
Veronica Federovsky
Sandra Grimaldi www.myspace.com/sandragrimaldi
Ross Lanvin
Eddie Pimmental
Stephanie Sado
Jamie Sand-Goldberger www.seamlessweb.com
Katie Stover
Nicole Testa
Sandy Thomolla

Cher Level Donors ($50-$100)
Rob Ahrens
Ariya Daivari http://www.myspace.com/daivariya
Francesca DeLutis
AJ Goodrich
Yari Hernandez
Michael Reese
Jeff Sholeen
Lise Thomalla

Madonna Level Donors ($100+)
Cast Music Entertainment (Claudia, Cassandra, Paula, George, Amanda, Tomas, Veronica)
Dudley Beene
Rana & Brandon Byers
Deanna & Shawn Daivari
Khosrow Daivari
Madison Dupuis
Roger Ein
Daniel Frysinger
Stephanie Hubbard
Ron Lasko www.spincyclenyc.com
Kathy Moassesfar
Stella Nijhof
Kelly Waldow
Mark Warren

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Nima,

Habari!
have a great time! Give all the kids a big hug! I was in DCC in March 2009...and I'll be back 16 September 2009...so we will not see each other...maybe next time. When I was there in March the kids told me that you visit them in September again...they where verry happy with that!
I am looking forward to read the news on your blog! And don't forget the word HAPANA !!!!

Big kiss from Manuela (dcc 2007)

Unknown said...

i just wanted to say i also say Euros with an S on the end, and i have spent plenty of time in EU. :-)