Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 32 v2.0

I feel like a fugitive.

The little ones are taking a nap, Marion Milka and Yvonne are in class with the teacher and the older ones are at school until 6pm, so I used this as an opportunity to run to town. I needed to exchange money from shillings to dollars and then slipped into the internet cafe to check my email and write a post. I'm such an addict. I fear that when I return and FINALLY get to use my iPhone, I'll wear it out in a week.

Last night I didn't get to see John before I went to bed so I didn't get to tell him I'm gay. I really wanted to because I feel it's really deceitful to keep that from friends and he has definitely become a friend. I'll add him on Facebook and hopefully he'll see it there. It's funny because I don't really ever tell anyone in America, I assume it's a given that I'm gay, but here the subtle clues (women's jeans, limp wrist, Madonna obsession, and Oprah follower) aparently are not enough.

We chatted briefly this morning and settled up (I owed him for the rent and he owed me for the laptop), but he paid me in shillings. I wanted to get to the project on time today and help out in the morning so I knew I was going to come back to town to exchange the money.

I've been cleaning the volunteer house every day despite not staying there. Tonight will be the first night. I've been mopping and scrubbing, but I still feel like it's filthy. I mean, I've been camping several times so obviously it can't be worse than that (as far as convenience and sanitation goes) but it's really not that far away. Oh, and we ran out of water. Hopefully we get some today. Just in case, I have over 15 litres of drinking water there so I should be able to manage even if we don't get water.

I saw everyone over lunch and they are so happy and so excited that I'm sleeping there these next two nights that I'm starting to feel horribly guilty for not doing it. It's like I told them Santa and Mickey Mouse and Will Smith had a love child and that child is spending the night. They were bouncing and shouting and grinning. I'm so excited and happy to do this, but do feel a little guilty. But in all honesty, I don't think I could have stayed there for 5 weeks. I need internet, showers, and some city life or I wilt like the delicate little flower that I am.

Disney's "Tarzan" is fantastic. I cried twice! It's such a great metaphor for being different. Whether you are black or gay or just ugly, I think you'll really like it. Plus he's so hot. And shirtless.

Trust me, after 5 weeks you'll start getting hot and bothered over a muscular cartoon character too.

It's really hot. I shouldn't have even come here, but I needed to. I have to go. Love you all, see you soon (I'm staying in New York for a week upon return, will be in Minneapolis on Saturday) and thank you for reading (again). Will post again from Schipol!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, now you won't be here until Saturday? How long will you be in town? Hopefully at least a day or two, since I'll be out of town next weekend visiting the 'rents for my birthday. We really must get together after I come back on Sunday afternoon. :) Have fun at Schiphol!